A start-up hedge fund required scalable, secure IT infrastructure, compliant with industry protocols. Due to software limitations and processing requirements, full cloud deployment was not viable. It was critical that our client be able to create and protect intellectual property as efficiently as possible, as well as access and process real-time data feeds. Since they were a regulated start-up with limited funds, considerations had to be made for both budget and security.
After prioritizing and balancing project requirements, we determine that our client’s needs were best met by a hybrid cloud deployment. This included:
- On-premise private cloud array to manage security and user policies
- Encrypting company data, duplicating it to a shared cloud platform, and backing it up to an encrypted off-premises backup provider
- Installing the most current Microsoft Office suite on-premises via Office 365, providing corporate email, shared calendars, unified contacts, and cross-device synchronization
- Endpoint security maintained by a cloud-based security and patch management system
- Defense against internet-based attacks with an appropriately-sized managed security appliance
The fund was able to scale its capacity, develop intellectual property, share resources securely internally and externally, and maintain a lightweight and dynamic staff. By leveraging both cloud resources and cloud application integration, they developed several new strategies and established themselves as subject matter experts. They have consistently published findings and successfully maximized their intellectual output with a small staff. With the ability to keep costs low and access to cutting edge tools, the fund has produced industry-leading ideas while operating on a minimal budget. The high productivity-to-expense ratio has provided a greater opportunity to achieve sustained success and higher probability of launching funds.